Fort Worth, Texas
In 1997 Hope Church purchased a 63,000 sf vacant bowling alley and renovated approximately 29,000 sq. ft. for use as their primary worship facility. Their original "Main Street" concept utilized a wide open common corridor for the public street while the entrances to the sanctuary and other rooms were designed with elevations representing historic Fort Worth buildings.
In 2004 DLA was hired to design the finish-out for the remaining 34,000 sq. ft. of interior space to include children's areas to serve toddlers through elementary age children, adult classrooms, a cafe and new administrative offices. The design expanded upon the original “Main Street" concept.
Inspiration for the various designs are as follows:
Café: Our Lady of Victory Academy (1909)
Adult Classroom: Farrington Field (1939)
Conference Room: Sinclair Building (1930)
Boys’ Classrooms: Various buildings and elements found in the Fort Worth Stockyards including the arched hallway leading to the dining area of Joe T Garcia’s
Girls’ Classrooms: Bass Hall and the surrounding buildings
During the course of construction it became clear that the existing, inefficient and dilapidated exterior curtainwall enclosing the two-story administrative wing would need to be replaced. Hope Church asked DLA to design a new exterior that would be more energy efficient and express the historic Fort Worth theme to the passing public. The design form was based on the Ashton Hotel and the colors were selected by the church.
Contractor: Master's Touch of Denison
Photographer: Craig Kuhner (Large format) & DLA (Small format)